Web seminar title:
Diversity patterns of the Flora of Greece with applications in R
- Instructors: Dr. Konstantinos Kougioumoutzis, Dr. Elpida Karadimou, Dr. Danis Kyziridis, Prof. Panayiotis Dimopoulos
- Location: Αθήνα
- Duration: 4 days
- Date: To be announced
- Costs: 100 euros
- Number of attendants: up to 15 people
Seminar website: https://github.com/kostask84/HBS-Seminar-2020
Mainly post-graduate students, PhD candidates and/or post-doctoral researchers interested in the spatiotemporal plant diversity patterns, as well as the factors shaping these patterns. Prior knowledge of the R programming language is desirable, but not required (e.g., installing and loading libraries, importing files and data).
The public availability of large-scale biotic and abiotic data has increased drastically in the last decade due to the aggregation of museum and herbarium records, as well as through citizen-science data. The potential of this kind of data even though extremely important, remains still poorly explored and underutilised. The participants will be provided with the opportunity to:
- Become familiar with, use and harness several online public databases (e.g., GBIF, WorldClim, PaleoClim, TRY – data mining, cleaning and exploration).
- Become familiar with open-access spatial data.
- Investigate the factors shaping the taxonomic, phylogenetic and functional plant diversity patterns.
- Assess the extinction risk status of several plant species according to the IUCN criteria.
- Visualise their results, by plotting publication quality figures.
- During the first day of the seminar, participants will become familiar with the use of the R programming language (installing and using R and R-Studio, installing and loading libraries, basic statistics).
- Upon completion of the seminar, each participant will receive a certificate of attendance.