According to its statute, the objectives of the Hellenic Botanical Society are:
- the advancement of all sectors of botanical science
- the advancement of botanical research in Greece
- the protection of the Greek flora
- the advancement of the achievements in Greek botanical research
The Hellenic Botanical Society (HBS) was founded in 1980 and was based in Athens (Faculty of Biology, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens). The logo of the Society depicts the head of Theophrastus (371-286 BC), ancient Greek philosopher and founder of Botany. The Society has approximately 210 members.
During the first period of HBS (1980-1985), four Scientific Symposia were held in various Greek cities (Patra 1981, Athens 1982, Thessaloniki 1983, 1985). From 1994 to 2005 the Hellenic Botanical Society has been organizing one Scientific Conference roughly every two years in various cities (Delphi 1994, Paralimni - Cyprus 1996, Alexandroupolis 1998, Patra 2000, Argostoli 2002, Ioannina 2005, Athens 2009, Rethymno 2011, Thessaloniki 2013). The forthcoming conference will be held in Athens in 2021.
Boards of the HBS (1980-2013)
|1980-1984||K. Mitrakos||D. Phoitos||K. Anagnostidis||I. Tsekos||D. Danielidis|
|1984-1987||I. Tsekos||E. Koukoli||S. Charitonidis||D. Babalonas||D. Danielidis|
|1993-1996||E. P. Eleftheriou||D. Babalonas||M. Moustakas||S. Diamantoglou||A. Oikonomou-Amilli|
|1996-1999||E. P. Eleftheriou||D. Babalonas||M. Moustakas||G. Kamari||D. Tzanoudakis|
|1999-2002||G. Kamari||T. Georgiadis||I. Manetas||P. Apostolakos||L. Simeonidis|
|2002-2006||G. Kamari||G. Psaras||I. Manetas||P. Apostolakos||L. Simeonidis|
|2006-2010||P. D. Dimopoulos||T. Konstantinidis||G. Kamari||S. Kokkini||S. Rhizopoulou|
|2010-2013||C. A. Thanos||G. Iatrou||I. Bazos||P. D. Dimopoulos||G. Kamari|
|2013-2016||C. A. Thanos||P. D. Dimopoulos||I. Bazos||S. Kokkini||K. Koutsovoulou|
|2016-2019||P. D. Dimopoulos||Μ. Panitsa||I. Bazos||S. Kokkini||K. Koutsovoulou|
|2019-2022||P. D. Dimopoulos||Μ. Panitsa||I. Bazos||I. Tsiripidis||K. Kougioumtzis|
Current Board of the HBS
The present Board of the HBS (2016-2019) was elected on July 01, 2016, assembled on July 18, 2013 and comprises the following members:
- Professor Panayiotis Dimopoulos, Faculty of Biology, University of Patras,
- Assistant Professor Maria Panitsa, Faculty of Biology, University of Patras,
- Dr Ioannis Bazos, Faculty of Biology, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens,
- Associate Professor Ioannis Tsiripidis, Faculty of Biology, National and Kapodistrian University of Thessaloniki, email@example.com
- Dr Konstantinos Kougioumtzis, Faculty of Biology, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pouris Ioannis, Faculty of Biology, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
Statute of the Hellenic Botanical Society
- The current statute of the Hellenic Botanical Society (pdf file in Greek only).
- The first statute of the Hellenic Botanical Society (pdf file in Greek only).
- The second statute of the Hellenic Botanical Society (pdf file in Greek only).
Then send you application and your cv
- either by mail to the Secretary of HBS (Assistant Professor M. Panitsa, Faculty of Biology, University of Patras, University Campus, 26504, Rio Achaia) or
- by e-mail to email@example.com and cc to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
Prerequisites (Article 4 of the Statute)
Members of HBS become scientists, Greek or foreigners, graduates of Higher Educational Institutions, who work in botanical laboratories or institutes of relevant research or educational centers and are actively and justifiably involved with botanical science.
Procedure (Article 5 of the Statute)
- The applicants submit their application to the Board. The application should contain the applicant's personal details (surname, forename, father's name, year of birth, address of permanent residence), details of their scientific activities that prove their vocation with the botanical science (Institute and Laboratory where employed, status, recent publications, etc), together with a written statement of their implicit agreement with the Statute of the Hellenic Botanical Society.
- The applicants should specify the Department and University from where they were awarded their undergraduate degree, the year of graduation, and the title of their Doctorate Thesis (if they possess one), the University that awarded the doctorate and the year of the award.
- The Board informs the applicant in writing of its decision on membership, or not, and composes the relevant report. The Board is then required to submit a catalogue/list of the new members to the General Assembly. An applicant whose application of membership is rejected by the Board can appeal to the General Assembly who makes the final decision. The appeal of the rejected candidate's membership should be supported by at least two existing members of the HBS. The relevant decision is taken by the General Assembly whose decision is final.
- Registration fee for new members is 10 euros.
- The yearly membership fee is 10 euros for all HBS members.
Bank account details for your registration and membership fee payment:
PIRAEUS BANK - ΙΒΑΝ: GR3301710090006009101656615
After you make a remittance or transfer, please email a copy of the receipt to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Become a Friend
If you want to become a friend of the Hellenic Botanical Society and receive news and the newsletter, you can send an e-mail with your name, occupation and e-mail address, to email@example.com.